View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am well aware of Godwin's Law. And it doesn't surprise me that you would be a fan of it. It's perfectly binary.
Mmm, peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Godwin's law does not apply here. Even you must admit that the Gestapo memo bears an uncanny resemblance to Bush's policy on turture. It's almost like it inspired the Bushies. Moreover, the fact is the Nazi regime is a useful touchstoen always to keep in mind for a number of reasons:

First, Hitler was elected by a popular vote and began as the head of a free republican state; he dismantled it incrementally from within over a period of time.

Second, 1930's Germany was probably the most educated and cultured--you could say "civilized"--country in the world.

These are among the reasons why Germany horribly facinates beyond Stalinist Russia, which was equally murderous and oppressive. Russia has never had republican government, and most of its population was illiterate and backward. Stalin himself was a rube. But Germany was a lot like us.
I hear Hitler fancied HDTV as well, illustrating just one more way that he and I are so much alike.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote