View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
You are okay with some people paying more as long as it is not you? You are human after all. I have had my doubts about that for a long time.

I am against any form of regressive taxation, period. Equality in taxation, in strict, percentage of disposable income would not be horrible. But progressive taxation, of the least oppressive ilk (smallest breadth of spread between highest and lowest brackets) is the most desirable.
I am for fair taxation, but I fail to see how one should have to pay more because one makes more money. An income tax, IMO, isn't fair because it takes money out of the workers pocket that could be spent on better things and that's where the consumption tax comes in. With more disposable income, there would be more consumption and more taxes generated. The only ones who get hurt are those who spend more than they can afford to spend.

Of course, I also say this as a card-carrying cheapskate. I would have even more to invest for the future or to bury in the backyard because I don't really spend a lot of my disposable income. A consumption tax would be good for me.

As for being human, I can understand you having your doubts. My wife often tells me I need to act more human than like an animal. I can't help it if I get caught up in the moment of little league sports.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote