View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 AM   #33
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
One thing to keep in mind, is that people around the country see no difference between BYU and the LDS Church. It's all the same thing to them.

For that reason, I can understand why 71 would want Mendenhall to tell recruits that they are representing BYU when they play, and make no mention of the church.

All I know is that the Honor Code will scare away a lot of potential recruits, because Mendenhall has the guts to tell them that there is an honor code and that he expects that they abide by the honor code if they want to represent BYU. And that's a good thing.

I too am glad Bronco is very clear with these kids. This is the way it is and the kids need to know the coach means business about keeping the rules.

I think there are plenty of kids out there whose parents would be very happy to have their kids live by the honor code rules BYU has. They might just feel they have very good kids and it isn't the rules that BYU has that makes them good kids. They might even feel by living the rules their kids are representing their own values and not BYU's. That is the pitch I would give. If these are your values, BYU will give you an environment where you can live and represent your values.

I just hope people realize even people who get baptized and slip up are not kicked out of the church. Hopefully a loving Bishop works with them to help reestablish living the values they agreed to. Luckily the Bishop doesn't have to worry about the public finding out and worry about how his decision reflects on the image of the ward.

My bet is that Bronco does value these kids who are non-members and recruits kids who have values and by representing BYU they are living these values on their own and not because they represent the church.

I live a lot of the values that evangelists have. It would bug me if someone said I am living their values and representing them by doing so.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote