View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This will sound hokey and hard to believe, but when I worked in the PD office I honestly felt like I was the last bastion of liberty in the criminal justice system. Most of my clients were low-lifes and reprobates and probably deserved punishment for something if not for the particular crime of which they were accused. No one looked out for them and no one wanted to help them and the cops were frequently sloppy or 'creative' in their reports and claims and yet no one cared and the DAs seemed to only worry about win/loss percentage. If the PD didn't protect the rights of these people, no one would and if this class of people was lost to the rights in our system, how long would it be before those abuses creep upward to the rest of us? You don't need evil DAs for this to happen, you only need zealousness, and the DAs frequently have more zeal than they have sense. So even though SU and Arch poke sly fun at the notion, I think we ALL owe a debt to PDs and the work they do (and the pay SUCKS).

I am grateful for the criminal defense bar and especially for the PDs. They perform an invaluable service. I agree absolutely that it is essential beyond imagination that we continue to assure civil protections and liberties, even to the lowest of the low, lest the remainder of society be caught off guard with nobody to protect them. Thankfully, most lay persons don't have to worry because of the good work of our defense bar. Bless them.