View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think the efforts of our military and law enforcement, and the efforts of the enemy, render this a useless [comparison.
So you think we can prevent an attack? Time will tell who is right. I hope you are, but I tend to think that with enough time we will be hit again.

Quote:
Perhaps. But the fact remains, isolated cases cannot be extrapolated on to the larger whole. Civil rights violations did not begin with George Bush and the Patriot Act, and yet inexplicably, America is still here.
As you noted, I have never alluded to George Bush, yet you keep bringing ti back. I agree that the Patriot act will not end America as we know it. But this really has no bearing on this question.

Quote:
I'm suggesting that a large scale attack could shape our national identity much more profoundly than you seem to believe.
IOW, you think that radical Islam is a threat to our survival?

Quote:
The moral weight that goes behind our decision to attack civilians, and theirs, is so far apart you couldn't fill it with all the hot air Cali Coug can blow.

There is ZERO moral similarity between what happened on 9/11 and what happened at Hiroshima/Nagasaki, and the comparison is damn obscene.
I have never made that comparison. I noted only that the justification was the same. In my mind, we need to carefully examine our rationale before launching indiscriminate attacks against civilian populations. While I understand the urge to bomb Dresden, for example, I think it is a rather embarrassing incident, even in the context of WWII. I do not feel that way about Hiroshima or Nagasaki, however, as I think that those bombings were justified under the circumstances. Regardless, this issue does not go to SU's question, but it is an interesting sidelight.