View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why is it a red herring? The absence of an attack, as history has shown, is evidence of nothing.
I think the efforts of our military and law enforcement, and the efforts of the enemy, render this a useless comparison.

Quote:
Something I would imagine those who have been wrongly detained would strongly disagree with.
Perhaps. But the fact remains, isolated cases cannot be extrapolated on to the larger whole. Civil rights violations did not begin with George Bush and the Patriot Act, and yet inexplicably, America is still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am not claiming it si bush that will destroy us, I am talking abotu it long term, long after you and I are dead and buried and even SU is but a misty memory among a gneration of vipers, I mean litigators. Whether there is a big effort ot prevent an attack is irrelevant to this discussion. So without property there is no america to protect; does this mean you think america is gone with a successful attack of some large scale destruction? What does this mean?
I'm suggesting that a large scale attack could shape our national identity much more profoundly than you seem to believe.

Quote:
His quote was in response to an argument for carpet bombing civilian populations. And your response, ironically, is exactly the same as their response appears to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Finally you say if I can't see a difference between us and them in "this regard." What regard are you talking about? DO you disagree that the statement made is among the justifications used by our terrorist enemies?
The moral weight that goes behind our decision to attack civilians, and theirs, is so far apart you couldn't fill it with all the hot air Cali Coug can blow.

There is ZERO moral similarity between what happened on 9/11 and what happened at Hiroshima/Nagasaki, and the comparison is damn obscene.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote