View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHIND ENEMY LINES View Post
I feel like I am stuck in the middle. I dont have hundreds of thousands to invest but I have more that my sons piggy bank.

The other reason why I was thinking about this education program is that just before this recent downturn in the stock market I invested in some mutual funds and they took a hit and I lost about $5,000. I understand that you have to have a long term perspective with the market, and that I will get it back (in fact I actually just bought more), however I like the idea of minimizing the risk through the strategies that they discuss.
People a lot more brilliant than you are, are using math you (or FMCoug) will never understand to create investments that are much more complicated than you will ever understand to do exactly what this company says they'll teach you. Those people got hammered in the market much worse than your $5,000.

If it's for a long term investment, put it in a Vanguard index fund and forget about it. If you have over 50K, you can start developing an asset allocation strategy and use a few different funds. But with that move you'll increase your return (or reduce your risk at same return) very marginally. Not in the manner you're thinking.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote