View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
But that is precisely the point, Tex. Many Republican insiders, including now Michael Steele, have said that Mitt lost because he was Mormon. Many evangelical leaders (i.e., the base) said they would never vote for Mitt because he was Mormon. Mitt didn't win, and a great argument can be made that it was largely due to his religious beliefs. That represents a very real ceiling your party has erected for Mormons, despite the fact that Mormons are overwhelmingly Republican (in the US).

You say that blacks are mistreated by Democrats. Setting aside whether or not that is true, even if it is, it is true on an entirely different level for blacks and the Democratic Party. Democrats elected a black man to be president of the United States. While you may think Democrats mistreat blacks, they most certainly aren't constructing barriers to party and national leadership like Republicans are with Mormons. And, by the way, the guy Democrats elected in the Senate to be Majority Leader is also Mormon. Who was the last Mormon Republican Majority or Minority Leader?
What you're saying is: because one guy won the lottery, the lottery must be a great thing for everyone who plays.

You're right, it's more "hip" to be anti-Mormon than racially prejudiced. And that would be a great point, if it actually dealt with what I'm getting at. It doesn't. I got in this thread when someone wondered why Mormons stay loyal to a party whose leadership (allegedly) is keeping them down.

There is no party where that is more evident than the Democrat party and blacks. The election of one black president (who barely secured his nomination) does not erase decades of abuse.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote