Thread: Idiots
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #43
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Thanks for the link. What did you enter to get that to come up?

Next step for me...time to find someone who speaks Thai to translate.
I think it was "mormon" "thailand" "Buddha" and "missionary"

I used some other searches and came up with an archived NYT article on the sentancing of the missionaries from 1972, but one needed to be a subscriber to access. I opted out.

I remember this growing up and I think this incident still stands in the way of The Church being officially recognized in Thailand (or it did for a while) and also prevents missionaries from getting two-year visas, requiring them to leave the country every 90-days and then re-enter.

I seem to recall a course in the MTC on not doing stupid things as I prepared to leave. They talked about getting sick (only drink potable water!!!), getting thrown in jail (don't be like those stupid missionaries in Thailand!!!), and getting sent home (don't have sex with the Bishop's daughter!!!!). It was kind of a scared straight approach with vivid examples of horribile sicknesses and humiliations.

The Church needs to get on this now, contact the Parish and apoligize profusely. And get those boys to do the same, sans anything that extolls the virtues of Mormonism. Keep it simple: We screwed up and we are very, very sorry. What can we do to make this better?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote