View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #30
Keyzer Soze

Keyzer Soze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I've been trying to talk my wife into a "real" barbecue grill for a long time but our hesitation in getting one is that I rarely have 12 hours to stay around the house and tend charcoal. Are you guys really cooking these overnight? Are you getting up in the middle of the night to check on them? How on earth do you keep a good constant temperature?
Like the Napper, I too have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker and if you use the minion method, and spend an hour or so at the beginning of the smoke getting your vents locked in where they need to be, then yes, it will burn unattended all night long with less than 10 degrees variance in temperature. I have a remote thermometer that I use that has an alarm if the temp spikes above whatever temperature I preset it at, and it has only gone off once in the middle of the night, and in that case, a strong wind was blowing, which raised the temp in the smoker a bit. I got up, closed the vents down a little bit, the temp fell to where it needed to be, and that was that. The WSM is a great piece of engineering.
Keyzer Soze is offline   Reply With Quote