View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I love to smoke. Especially ribs. I am still toying with my process (which I think is more important than the rub used for ribs), but here is what I do:

0.5. Soak wood chips for 48 hours- I like mesquite on ribs
1. Strib membranes off of ribs.
2. Rub ribs in yellow mustard (thin coat)
3. Apply rub mix
4. Wrap ribs in saran wrap tightly, then wrap in tin foil. Put ribs on grill (I have a side firebox where I put all my charcoal). The thermometer reading in the main portion of the grill where I cook (with no charcoal in that part of the grill) should be about 180-200. If that low, the saran wrap won't melt. Let the ribs cook like this for about 2-3 hours.
5. Take ribs off grill, remove saran wrap and tin foil. Place ribs back on grill for smoking. Add pre-soaked wood chips to side firebox (lots of them) and replace them when they burn out. Ensure smoke burns white rather than black (which indicates an acrid smell).
6. Gently flip ribs as needed, smoke on lower heat for around 2-3 hours.
7. Start basting ribs with your favorite bbq sauce- I love Sweet Baby Rays. Wait for outer coat to start to harden onto ribs, then apply another coat. Do about 3-4 coats.
8. Enjoy.

The saran wrap makes the ribs literally fall off the bone, so it is a bit tricky to cook them on the grill after that. You can play with the time they cook in saran wrap a bit to ensure they aren't fully cooked in saran wrap. It is a balancing act, but they are fantastic when done.
Cali, we don't agree about anything politically, but this sounds devastatingly delicious. I'm going to give it a try.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote