View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I haven't played in one in a few years, but now that an active chess club is practically in my backyard....

Does anyone else play chess?

A tournament at the end of August will be a swiss pairings game-in-60, so there's time to play closed openings.

As white, I like the lines in the Ruy Lopez. I'll play a King's Gambit if the mood strikes me. As black, I like to play the French against king pawn and the Benoni against queen pawn. I steer English and offbeat openings into either the French or QGD. I'll also sometimes play the Petroff, the Sicilian, and the Queen's Gambit Declined.

My taste probably frustrates some opponents. Tournament players who play king pawn often like aggressive, tactical play. The French is a cramped, but rock-solid defense that punishes aggressive play. Those who like careful, positional play often go queen pawn. The Benoni is a swindling, swashbuckling opening that few are prepared for.
I just started playing about five years ago but I love chess. I play on yahoo. Was really into it for a couple years and not much for the past few.

I hate closed games. I play Italian game usually on white and try to open up the middle.

My favorite is when they play d5 to e4 and then screw around with their queen roaming it all around the board while I develop.

Also I love trash talking on yahoo chess. Like I'll be castled up with e rank wide open and I'll say I'm gonna take your queen in 6 moves, and then jump my knight off with a discovered check.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote