View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would highly recommend wearing a helmet and lifejacket when windsurfing. I've been a half-mile from the shore, and I can't swim a half-mile.

Also, there was a windsurfer in Austin. He got hit by something, either a board or a boat, and went down and didn't come up. If he had had a lifejacket he probably would have lived.

Also, I have been slammed so hard windsurfing, that even with a helmet, I had a bad headache.

Surfing is about waiting. Windsurfing and wakeboarding is about action. Nonstop action.
I've been knocked out on the wakeboard and had probably my worst fall on anything on the Air Chair. Catching an edge on a wakeboard is a bitch, as it feels like falling onto concrete going about 30 mph. Certainly enough to leave you with a nasty headache for the rest of the day.

I probably should wear a helmet, but haven't done so. I always wear a life jacket though. The other thing, and I am sure windsurfing is similar, is that Wakeboarding kicks my ass. My core and thighs get a nice workout from the pulling against the rope with all the carving. It's a sore feeling, but the good kind. Then to relax, we throw out the Wake surf and cruise. I'm hoping to get out and try surfing this summer on our trip to SoCal.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote