View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't disagree, but I do think it is interesting that much of what we now believe to be true from science was not, in fact, widely accepted for years and sometimes decades after it had been discovery. There are myriad examples of this. It seems to be human nature to not want to give up up what is "known."

My point is only that while we often fault the church leaders of not adapting swiftly enough to on the blacks and the priesthood issue and other issues, the reality is that many scientific disciplines have also been remarkably slow to incorporate new things though I think that is less true lately. Just an observation about human nature, not trying to compare apples to apples.
But that is not a critique on the scientific method. On the contrary. It's a comment about human nature. The scientific method is what saves us from descent into dogma that you describe. Yes, a certain class of humans, perhaps the majority, prefer a psychic security they receive from dogma. It's not surprising that scientists, being human, would from time to time fall into this trap.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote