View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #38
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
For those that have been or are hefty, how did it come about? Have you always been on the large side or did it happen later in life? MTC? Mission? College? Sympathy weight during pregnancies?

I've never really struggled with weight, as I am currently the same weight that I was in High School. So I am always curious to hear how the weight crept on.

One of my good friends who I ride bikes with was 6 feet, 150 pounds when he was married at 25. He was racing bikes competitively for several years after his mission. 20 years later, he topped out at 300 pounds before getting back in shape. He is now down to 225 and steadily dropping. For him, it was parenthood, his first few jobs out of school and no buddies to ride with for motivation.
I was very active pre-marriage. Surfing, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snow Boarding, Basketball, you name it. In my high school years till I was married at 22 I was never out of top shape let alone fat. About 2 months before my marriage, I tore my ACL. Being married and trying to recover from the ACL, I packed on some pounds. When I left high school I weight 210, when I married I was 215. about 6 months (1995) into my marriage I weighed 240. Since then it was pretty steady at 240 until I switched carreers (2005) and found myself behind a desk all day long. In the past 3 years I ballooned to just shy of 300 pounds. I carry the weight decently, so I never heard I was looking bad but I knew it. But last year, after years of flirting with it, resolved to get back to high school weight.

So, to answer the question, for me it was a combination of Marriage, Desk job and injury.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote