View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Here's another example:

My dad was a bishop in a BYU ward, and he would often relate this story to us, without revealing identities of the parties involved.

A couple is engaged and ready to be married. However, in their temple recommend interviews, they confess that they have committed sexual sin, and their marriage is delayed for an entire year.

After waiting an entire year to get married...within days before their wedding, they came to my dad (their bishop) and confessed that they had, in a single instance, engaged in some "dry humping" and light petting and were feeling guilty about it. My dad told them to stay away from each other between that moment and the wedding, but that because they had tried so hard for an entire year and already delayed their marriage for so long, and because they felt so penitent about their mistake, that he felt like it was OK for them to go ahead and get married in the temple if they could control themselves for the remaining days.

The Stake President about killed my dad, but the SP let them go ahead and get married in the temple anyway.

Arbitrary enforcement? You bet. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it's not. I guess it depends on your perspective and your attitude toward sins, guilt, forgiveness, and punishment.
So, did your dad literally use the expression "dry humping"?