Thread: The Fungibles
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default The Fungibles

So I think we can agree that people professionally are fungible: doctors, farmers, scientists, and most especially lawyers. But what about artists? Are they the one profession where a singluar vision is required which therefore makes them irreplaceable?

I'd say a great majority of "artists" are fungible -- for sure. In fact, I would't classify architects designing the strip mall or microwave oven office building an artist. But not the greats, or the unique -- their singular vision and creative spirit is not something that another can replicate. And this is different than the great or unique doctors or lawyers etc. Another would have taken Earl Warren's place on SCOTUS and Brown v. Board would have come soon enough. Same with Fleming, Currie, Watson and Crick, or even Abe Lincoln -- even if he had never been president, slavery would be a thing of the past today; don't know how or when, but it would have gone the way of the dodo; and the Union (once split -- maybe) would be one, like Germany is now one.

But Michelangelo and Rothko -- nobody would have painted the Sistine Chapel or worked with marble like Michelangelo, and no one would have painted naked emotion and the elemental like Rothko. Or Shakespeare and Hardy, or Giocometti and Serra, or Palladio and Wren, or Olmstead and Koons. Or Dickinson and Keillor (yes, that Keillor, Garrison the genius). You can say this about artists. You can't say it about any other professionals.

And you can't say it about prophets.

Therefore, have children. Because unless you are a singular artist, you're nothing but a cog and wholly and entirely replaceable by a simple trip to Ace Hardware.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote