View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #68
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
LA you had your boots on the ground there, do you have any sense about why the church chose this particular fight? AZ and FL had similar measures we didn't get involved in, there were other moral issues on the ballot around the country including abortion and gambling that we stayed out of.

Do you think it has to do with how heavily CA influences the rest of the western US? Do you also anticipate that we will fight this again and again? I understand the church taking a moral stand, that makes sense to me and I have no problem with it. I would have held my nose and supported prop 8 if I lived in CA. I'm wondering if you have any insight about why we got involved in this particular battle with so many others available and so many other worthy ways to spend 20M (if we believe that funny/silly commercial).
I'm not LAUte and I'm not in CA and I don't speak for the Church but I'll offer my opinion nonetheless:

The Church chose CA as the battleground (eschewing AZ and FL) because of the following reasons:

1. Size of CA - the most populous state in the union
2. Probability that the issue would go in the Church's favor was already high in FL and AZ - in other words, the Church didn't step into the fray in those states because it didn't need to.
3. Number of "boots on the ground" available in CA. Not as many boots in FL. Plenty of boots in AZ but, again, they weren't needed.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote