View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #45
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

On Spain, there is an argument, made by some on the Left, that our involvement in Iraq is creating anti-U.S. terrorists, in effect increasing the threat. Hence, if we pull out, the threat decreases significantly. My point in raising Spain is obvious in this regard and thought it made sense in our conversation, but perhaps it doesn't. I'm not willing to go back and check; but it seems irrelevent since we appear to agree on this point.

On Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't buy the "distraction" argument as being that significant. Given Iraq's stategic importance in world affairs, our priority should be on preventing chaos there versus Afghanistan. Besides, it appears that anything we would do in Afghanistan would need to involve Pakistan. As I noted, right now this appears to need more of a diplomatic/intelligence solution versus a military one. And NATO is there. Are you suggesting that we ask NATO to stand aside? What happened to multilateral solutions? Or are we just going to use NATO as a front for our unilateral activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
There are, as you mentioned, almost unlimited variables in Iraq right now. To categorically say, as Mitt Romney and other Republicans have said, that withdrawing from Iraq means the terrorists win is baseless and unknowable.
Actually I think it is the only known variable should we pull out. The last time we "lost" to the terrorists was in Somalia. Osama used that as evidence that Americans are soft and a ripe target. 9/11 came next. We leave Iraq before estalishing internal security and it will be seen as another Somalia, America capitulates to terrorists. That seems fairly obvious.

So, questions for you, Cali.

What is your view of an end game in Iraq?
Will we withdraw all of our troops? If not, what will be left? Where? Why?
How long will this all take?
How do you plan to deal with the fallout of leaving an unstable regime in the region? What will you tell our friends there, especially Arabs who will see Persian dominance of a fellow Arab state?
How will you protect our Kurdish friends in the north from reprisals/dominance from Iraqis, Iranians, and Turks?
How will you prevent a civil war and what are the contingencies should one break out?
How will you deal with those Iraqis who worked with us and will certainly face reprisals at the face of those we are fighting? For example, what about the tribal chieftans in Anbar province?
How will you secure our diplomatic facilities and diplomats in country, or is the plan to significantly reduce that presence as well?
What is your vision of Iraq ten years on? What is the plan?

I'm sure there are more, but I'll stop there. Time to come out of the tall grass.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote