View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I know you intended this to be a discussion primarily about priestcraft, but if you'll forgive the slight tangent, I wanted to insert a comment about grinding upon the face of the poor.

If I understand it correctly, 2 Nephi 26 is an extension of Nephi's commentary on the chapters of Isaiah he just quoted. I've begun a fresh study of those chapters, and was just studing 2 Ne. 13 this weekend. For the first time, these words stuck out to me:

Funny that you should point out this phrase in 26 right on the heels of my reading it in 13. I think it's safe to assume, given that the phrase appears nowhere else, that Nephi had this chapter (13) in mind when recording that phrase.

Isaiah 3 / 2 Nephi 13 is all about the punishment to be wreaked upon Israel/Judah given it's various forms wickedness, and has both ancient and latter-day implications and/or interpretations. Isaiah begins the chapter by threatening to revoke bread and water supplies (both of which have messianic symbolism), as well as an itemized list of professions, among which include "the prophet." Of course we know that the skilled of the Israelites were incarcerated by the Babylonians under Jehoachin, but what of the modern day application?

Could not the "poor" in this case refer to the "poor in spirit" (ala Beatitudes)? Could not priestcraft be those willing to use positions of priesthood power ("the prophet") to "eat up the vineyard" and "spoil the poor" in our houses?

This almost strikes me as having more application to members of the church, than those outside it.
Nice discussion of the phrase "grinding upon the face of the poor." I actually don't see it as tangent at all since I see 20 and 29 as clearly connected. Also, it is a nice reminder to point out that going back to Isaiah will help us understand Nephi better. I am open to an interpretation that the "poor" could be a reference to something other than exclusively economic poverty. I will have to go back to Isaiah 3 and consider that possibility (I must admit I didn't notice he was quoting Isaiah so it is very useful that you pointed it out.) Even if the "poor in spirit" idea is not originally implied by Isaiah 3 I think it is a nice application and extension of the principle taught by Nephi.

Last edited by pelagius; 03-03-2008 at 08:13 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote