View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
YOu may be right, but we aren't parsing our words here as carefully as we should be if we were running for president. Tex is just some schlub that like you and me bangs out some psots between doing other things in ihis work day and probabyl, like you and me, doens't give much thought to the phrasing of all of his comments. Like I said, I suppose you can see rascism in the statement on its face, I just don't think it was intended.
I agree except that since Tex is being defensive and denying the clear racist connotation of his comment, and people here don't seem to get it, the purpose of my comment that the public would not tolerate such a statement by a public figure is to demonstrate that public mores agree with me. Often in this type of a discussion that's the best source of higher authority to cite, and you'll see that I often resort to this in my posts, i.e., "Well, you may not agree with me, but just about all educated and informed people would."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote