View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #42
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
One of my pet peeves about church culture (and not doctrine) is how men are expected and even enoucraged to be slack-jawed spiritual and cultural idiots and women are expected to take up the slack (I realize I'm mixing slacks here, but you get the point). In our ward whenever there is any social event the men always jokingly say how the women have to be in charrge for ti to be any good and the women in the RS actually ENOUCRAEG this thinking. It drives me wild. This goes beyond cereal and doughnuts, but that example is certainly symptomatic. One of the main reasons men are lazy and never do their share is becaseu no one expects them to. This is not ocnsistent, IMO, with the mantle of the priesthood and the expectations of God.
This is no pet peeve of mine. I happen to think that, very generally, women are better at somethings than men are and vice versa. My wife is infinitely better at planning events than I am. She brings a feminine touch and creativity to that process that I do not possess. I am much better in that situation at taking direction. This isn't because I am lazy.

Look at the relief society room before the lesson next week. There will be flowers on the table, maybe a table cloth and some other object. This sort of thing just never crosses the mind of man. Nor is it much appreciated by man.

If I want something done classy, my wife is in charge.