Thread: Snow
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
It's snowing above 2,500' in the Cascades tonight. We have a backpacking trip planed with the boys the second week of July. I checked on the spot last week and it's still under snow after about five miles of trail - not a ton, but it's there. And there will be more snow further up. Not sure what we're going to if we don't get melt. None of the boys sounded very stoked on Sunday when I told them we may have to camp on snow in July.

I may need a bike trip audible in my back pocket.

How's the snow pack/melt in other parts of the West? Is anyone else running into similar issues?
Even though it has been hot lately we still have quite a bit of snow here in the Sierras. Most of my friends are planning lower elevation trips right now and trying to stay below 12,000. It is not that the show is blanketed up there, but on many of hte steep north facing slopes a big snow field creates enough of a hazard that most are smart enough to wait till it melts and hold off till the end of July.

I have no problem dealing with the snow during the summer, but it all depends on the steepness of the slope that you are going to be on. Around here we have some pretty significant slopes that I would not want to take a group of scouts across. But if it was only hiking through an area of snow that didn't have that much risk, it could actually be fun.

What does that elevation profile of your proposed trip look like?
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote