View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So what should be rolled back?

Marriage is failing as an institution, esp. among the poor, long before gay marriage came on the scene.

This might be called "the nail in the coffin" argument. Maybe they ought to marshal their resources towards saving marriage, and not just fighting gay marriage and civil unions.

I am no huge backer of gay marriage. But I'm still waiting for more convincing arguments against it.

I like to say things like "Not only do I favor marriage for gays, I intend to make it compulsory." It gets a nice reaction (for my level of comedy, a chuckle is fabulous success).
Of course it could be argued that part of saving marriage is fighting gay marriage. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

I've stewed a long time about this issue. Usually when I approach problems such as this one this way I can break things down logically and a clear answer presents itself in the end. This issue is particularly difficult as it depends largely on one's worldview and somewhat on religion(although there are those who argue the latter). I do not believe it to be a civil rights issue as I am hearing more now from the pundets, et al. I lean more towards the arguements that point out the basic function of the human body and how it was designed to procreate. I know that there are many legions of people who choose not to view it that way, though.