View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I agree that LDS doctrine has a depth and breadth unseen in many other religions, particularly other Christian religions. The "academic scrutiny" part seems more like wishful thinking.
I like you, woot. You're like the recent convert singing loudest in the choir at a church I have attended for a long time. But your posts have evinced a real lack of appreciation for our culture's religious traditions which, unfortunately, isn't unusual among folks who were raised as we were. Your new found enthusiasm for secularism evinces all the steril dismissal of mystery that Einstein found so vexing. (This is not unusual among apostates who were raised as we were.) No post of yours has reaffirmed this quite like the above comment.

Were you aware that St. Augustine is considered perhaps the most imporant philosopher of all time, partly because he may have been the most important means by which Greek philosphy was transmitted to and preserved for our times? Paul created Christian doctrine as an amalgum of Judaism and Greek philosphy. Are you familiar with the works of Dante and John Milton, works of genius recognized as being equal to the Old Testament in terms of their artistry? Were you aware that Martin Luther wrote roomfulls of brilliant stuff? Have you considered the works of Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Vermeer, Rembrandt, and other staggering works of visual arts in Rome and throughout Europe, including the cathedrals and basilicas of late antiquity and the Middle Ages? The music of Bach, Beetoven, Handel, Mozart, Brahms, etc.? All this beauty and philosphical depth was inspired by religious faith, faith in Christianity, pure and simple. Our world would be a bleaker, less awe inspiring, less mysterious (in the Ensteinian sense) place without them, especially if you blot out modern works of genius inspired by the older, religion-inspired masterworks.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote