View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I kinda agree with 71 here. I don't think many believe that anymore. And addressing it might actually legitimatize it for some. I would like to see a public announcement on that, but it doesn't bother me too much. I do love MKJ and would love to see him as an apostle.
That's pretty tough for us white Mormons to gauge don't you think? Our retention rates for black converts are abysmal. Many point to this issue as one of the causes. I see no reason to disbelieve them.

Interestingly, an essay in the book by Mauss shows the results from surveys that indicate that LDS people are less racist than the US population at large using standard measures ("Do you believe neighborhoods should be segregated..?", etc.). And yet the folklore persists.

The anecdotal stories provided in the book indicate that the folklore is often related more out of ignorance than malice. This is exactly why many are pushing for an explicit statement from church leadership.