View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tell me how thousands if not millions of cattle on federal land are good for the land.

I would like to hear this explanation.
General hyperbole to the rescue.

I'll give a you a thumbnail sketch of the issue. In the west at least and I cannot speak for the east or midwest, BLM managed land is usually the most arid, least useful land. In our cities, we often trade any good land of BLM for not so good land of private or municipal ownership.

A Rancher will often blend BLM with other land to graze his cattle. But a good rancher does know when to rest the land and when to rotate just as good farmers know good resource management.

Ranchers pay taxes on permitted land. The land if not used by ranchers would fall in disrepair.

You try to make horrific an issue which you know not, Mike. Or if you do, then shame on you for misrepresenting it. Ranchers are among the most respectful land managers, and they are fighting a battle which must be fought unless we wish to be entirely reliant upon foreign beef.

If you believe for any reason that over-grazing is the norm then you're believing the bullshit spin of environmentalist, not the real persons who are there and who can see it.

Again in other regions the issues may be different, but I'd be more than happy to show you the "idyllic" Nevada BLM land which you believe ranchers are raping. You're in for a surprise.