View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think you will need to leave California. The market is very tough right now. Asia is also not really hiring much. They have laid off most Americans, because they are so much more expensive than locals and the work is slow.

If you were at a top firm, you may be able to find something at a top regional firm out of California. In house is always a possibility but hit and miss, and California corporations aren't hiring much at the moment for in house.
This is basically what I'm finding. California is generally dead. Asia is dead -- but in Asia I have a comparative advantage -- language ability and experience working in the region. My firm laid off lots of Americans and locals in Asia. Headhunters are not optimistic -- but expect a turnaround in late 2009, earlier than the US. So, I'm thinking of doing something on the business side, or even something entrepreneurial, in China in the short term -- even if it means a significant pay cut.

I was at a top firm -- and I have been applying to a number of regional or even small market firms throughout the West. How do I find the right relationships in Denver, Portland, Phoenix, etc.? I.e., Right now I'm just a resume on a desk in those places.

Other than "survive", I would like to do transactional work: M&A and corporate finance. In Texas, energy companies and a few firms doing energy work seem to be hiring still -- and I have done lots of energy work. So, I am exploring there, with a hope to stay on the transactional side. Mid-market M&A is picking up.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote