View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The whole key to running efficiently is relaxation. It's a reason why stretching is important beforehand. The only part of the body that should work are legs, lungs and heart. Everything else needs to be completely relaxed.

Posture is debated, see Chi Running.

For you, you may wish to consult the running store, but without having seen you run, I'd recommend a midsole land. I'm not naturally light on my feet, but focusing upon it allows me to improve. It's just how you set your foot down. You can "lighten" your land if you concentrate and over time it will improve. This will lessen injuries. I currently have a bone contusion on my heel from speed work, so foot strike is important.

I love fitness so you hit me on something I love, even though in terms of competition, I'm very average and often disappointed with my performances. However, it's taken a lot of work to become average so I've had to go at it very methodically.
I tried running this morning with your advice, starting out a little bit slower (about a 10:30 pace) and was able to maintain the pace for almost the whole 2 miles. I focused on trying to have good posture, relaxing my hands and landing softer on my feet. I felt like I was able to run easier, but focusing on that was weird. I'm going to try and do it so that it comes more naturally, but thanks for the advice. Any more pointers would be useful.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote