View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What sound do you hear as your foot plants? If it's a gentle sound, then you're doing it correctly, if it's a thud, you're doing it incorrectly.

There are different theories whether you land midsole or heel but that's too complex for now.

What are your hands doing? Are they open, balled or clenched? You should be able to hold a tissue between your index and thumb but so lightly it would almost fall out.

What is the swing of your arms? Gentle and forward or thrashing? I thrash often. Not good.

What are you doing with your jaw? Loose.

What posture are you using?

Correct form early will benefit you later on.

You cannot just run, you must learn to run in a healthy form.
Before I go on, let me say thanks for the advice. I know running is a great way to get, and stay in shape and I appreciate anything that will help me get better at it. I'm a competitive person, so I don't like sucking at things, and I'd rather progress then get frustrated and quit.

My hands are closed, but not clenched. My arms usually swing controlled, not 'thrashing' but not gentle either. More of a controlled thrash I guess.

My jaw is usually loose. Sometimes as I'm breathing I'll mouth the words to the song on my iPod.

I'd probably say when my foot lands it is more of a thud. I've never been light on my feet by any means, so what should I pay attention to? Landing on my heels and pushing off to my toes more? I've never really 'thought' about running, I've just done it.

As far as posture, I've never paid attention. I'll have to look next time.

Thanks for the recommendations.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote