View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I'm participating in a research study where yesterday they calculated the amount of calories my body burns at rest by having me breathe into a little helmet-tent, and then measuring the amount of carbon dioxide.

According to the research nurse, someone of my height and weight should require about 1750 calories a day just to keep the vital organs going. My test results, though, indicate that I only burn about 1430 calories a day resting. (And, I'm not in starvation mode. I don't eat a lot, but I eat fine.)

In a way, I'm a marvel of evolution, since my body is geared to get by on fewer calories. On the other hand, I'd rather burn a few more so I can lose 5 or have a little ice cream. Can you boost metabolism naturally (no caffeine or energy supplements)? Fartlek training maybe?
aren't you fairly athletic? I would have expected you too burn more than that. Weren't you going out and running in the freezing cold? or was that someone else. Maybe your metabolism said screw this and is taking the year off. I would if you made be go out and run in the cold.

It seems to me the more active you are the more your base metabolism rises, because your body gets conditioned to burning calories and just keeps on doing it even when you stop activity. maybe their methods for measurements aren't really as good as they thought they were and you use your oxygen more efficiently and thus skew the results.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote