View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's events like this that tell me the clock is ticking for many Mormons--those who have personal beliefs and aren't afraid to share them.

I wonder what Joseph Smith would say to the idea that merely expressing personal opposition to an official act of the church is worthy of excommunication? The idea that there is no back and forth, no common consent.

It's funny--if we defend Nielsen in semi-anonymity on the internet, we are "safe", but if we write in and say the exact same thing in an op-ed, we risk eternal damnation. That's pretty freaking incredible.

That's why I don't really think God gives all that much weight to excommunication. Look at the David O. McKay bio and the attempt by an apostle to excommunicate Juanita Brooks. Do I believe, in one moment as President McKay considered the matter, that Sis. Brooks eternal welfare was on the line? No I don't, not for a second.

Excommunications of conscience such as this case brings to mind, make me sad. There is one person on CB who has said he is preparing a dossier to "expose" me to local church leaders. What happens when my day comes? Do I take the path of conscience, or do I kowtow to unrighteous dominion?

What if the church demands I shut down this website? The clock is ticking.

By the way, it's too f*&#$# bad the guy wasn't an athlete at BYU. His case might have turned out different.
What athletes do you know that have taken public stances in direct conflict to general policies of the church. Not once, but repeatedly. I will bet the guy didn't get thrown out of the orchestra because he refused to shave his beard. What do you think would happen if an athlete grew a beard and refused to shave it.

I understand and can sympathize with the bulk of your post. I think at this point the bulk of the church doesn't mind the order of things. Maybe as time moves on that will change and then the churches stance on this might too.

AS one who doesn't approve of gay marriage, I hope they don't. However, I don't ever use the churches stance as being a doctrinal issue. I consider it a social issue, much like the black situation was.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote