View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I've always been fairly pro-environment and still am. However, I have to say, reading the transcript of a debate from last March on the topic has influenced my thinking on global warming. This is a long read, but worth it if you're at all interested.

http://www.intelligencesquaredus.org...n%20031407.pdf

Cliff notes version: The resolution was "Global Warming is not a crisis." Two sides to the debate with three people on each side. Brian Lehrer (WNYC) moderated the debate. To judge the debate, a poll of the audience was conducted before and after the debate. Those supporting the resolution went from 30% to 46%, against the resolution fell from 57% to 42%. A fairly resounding victory. Interesting debate.
I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but I found the makeup of the panel quite interesting. The pro side included Michael Crichton, who writes fun novels, but is a complete hack when it comes to real science. It also includes Philip Stott who has never published a single academic paper in this area and Richard Lindzen from MIT who is the best-qualified of the three, but has a history of being a consultant for the oil industry. The three folks on the other side have much stronger scientific credentials.