View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What a bullshit statement.

I can see the political wisdom in it, currying favor with everybody who believes he or she is paying too much for health care and who is naive enough to believe a government controlled, owned and paid for system will be cheaper and better, but it is still bullshit.

We're so advanced we should guarantee cradle to grave care. I see it and note people want that, but what have become? A country where nobody has drive to contribute but everybody wants a handout.

With the entitlement age coming upon us we will see a continued slow down and a malaise, not specific to every individual but that will be our national persona.
I'm not far off from where you are on this. First, I don't accept the premise that we are so wealthy that we can afford this. Someone will have to pay for it. Also I flat out don't buy that people can't afford health insurance. Granted that some cannot, but most can and choose to spend their money on other things like tricking out their crappy cars or buying big screen TVs. Some people just drink their extra money.

I am all for a safety net for those who really cannot do it themselves, I am not a fan of subsidizing the bad spending choices other people make. Lots of people just don't want to write that check every month where they can spend the money on other discretionary items. This is what galls me about the idea of paying for their health care. Heaven knows I could drive a nicer car or live in a bigger house if I stopped paying my premiums.