View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Batman is also going to benefit substantially from all the IMAX theatres it is opening in. To Pelagius' re: it doing well in spite of the economy, movies are often immune from economic hardships that hit other industries. In fact, in some cases the worse things are the more likely the public will be to escape to the movies.

I will say that I don't think that it will top Spidey 3, partly because none of those top five opened against another movie. They were the only thing going that weekend. That said, I am becoming more convinced that those who are predicting Mama Mia to do $25M this weekend are off a good 7-10M. I think that Batman will suck all the air out of it.
I think part of that high predicted take is actually factoring in spill-over from those who want to see The Bat but are shut out due to sellouts.

I could see Mamma Mia doing $15M or so, maybe $20M. But would not be shocked to see it do less than $10M. People dig ABBA Gold and cannot get enough of it. How many times can they repackage that collection? The play is basically the entire ABBA Gold disc, save 1 or 2 songs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote