View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #26
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I'm shocked at your use of the word hate. It's not nearly strong enough.

I never let on that I speak Japanese and/or that I'm a Japanophile in the presence of Asians of other nationalities if I can help it.
You're very correct. Working in New Jersey where I'm one of the few white boys, my wife being Filipino, and spending much of my time in Asia I run into a lot of anti-Japanese feelings. And these are younger people. Late 30's and younger.

I started my mission in Tokyo before being hit by a car. So I had a little bit of a soft spot for Japan and their culture. Then I started speaking to other Asians. It amazed me that most of Asia seems to absolutely despise Japan. The little research that I've done was shocking. To most Americans the Japanese are seen as a proper, polite, smart culture who made a poor decision in WWII. To lots of Asians, especially the less advanced and industrial countries, Japan is seen as a terrifying bully who if the US wasn't there, would again attempt to make them their slaves in every sense of the word.

Filipino's love Americans simply because we freed them twice. From the oppression of Spain and the torture of Japan. A lot of the smaller Asian countries are greatful for our presence there. China and North Korea obviously are exceptions.

All that said, I love Japan. I think the people are wonderful. I think the country is beautiful. They treat their elderly much better than anything we see in the US. There is much there that the US could take a lesson or two from.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote