View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I simply disagree with the role of government. It should be minimalistic, because all it can do is harm.
If this were true, we should advocate NO government as opposed to minimal government. I imagine you don't actually believe what you are saying here. Of course it can do more than harm (indeed, you cite several areas where the government has done lots of good).

As for your statement that there are no major issues to work on today, I am simply astounded. You begin by saying there is nothing like WWII facing us. We are on the precipice of a WWIII right now, I think. The direction our leaders take us may or may not thrust us over that precipice. International affairs today are far more complicated than they were during WWII. We face HUGE issues in that realm.

The global AIDS epidemic; racial issues that STILL exist (despite your inference that the civil rights movement ended that issue); education; trade deficits; exporting of labor to foreign countries; poverty within the US and globally; finding the appropriate balance between security and freedom; stem cell research... the list goes on and on.

We are faced with countless issues of enormous proportions. We need people with imagination to solve those issues. We DON'T need people who imagine there are no major ssues that need to be solved.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote