View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54...udies.html.csp

I'm sympathetic to "large-tent Mormonism", no doubt about it. But I'm not personally enthralled with John Dehlin. I would not go to battle with John Dehlin by my side.

I don't follow FARMS very closely (nor Dehlin, for that matter), but if this in fact takes FARMS in a more academic direction, I don't see how that is a bad thing. I've long thought that the entire BYU religion department ought to be more academic. There fan always be a place for hard-core apologetics. It just doesn't have to be the Maxwell Institute at BYU.
I've been following this closely. It's not due to the hit piece on Dehlin. It's due to differences between Bradford and Peterson's vision for MI, that have been broiling for years.

We already have academic venues: BYU studies, Dialogue, etc. Why do we need another one?

I hope we can have an apologetics organization independent of the Church come out of this.

And Dehlin is censoring just about everything right now. He posted a link to a piece critical of him, and when too many commentators supported the piece, he took it down.

He just can't take criticism; he is a pussy.