View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Whether or not you like Obama, he has fully articulated his views on every single major topic. In fact, you despise him BECAUSE of his views, a point that undercuts your argument that he has no views (i.e. is just a shiny object).
Come on Cali. The point is not that he has no ideas, the point is that he has the same ideas as most other legislators in his party who control the most unpopular political body in the history of our country.

Obama is popular, and will win, for the following reasons in this order:

1. Americans hate, or at least have had a belly full of W, and he is a Republican.
2. Obama is very articulate.
3. Obama is nice looking.
4. Obama is a powerful symbol.
5. McCain is a Republican who is neither articulate nor good looking.

I can't even, seriously, bring myself to list ideas here. Ideas are way down the list somewhere, but they have so little to do with. Yes there are some people like you who have really absorbed the ideas and the differences they represent but this is not the overwhelming majority of people. Yes there are many Republicans who despise him for his views but I don't even think that is most Republicans. I believe these things are decided on a much more superficial level. It is so rare that any particular idea really matters.