View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Douthat a lot.

Let's agree for the sake of argument that Hitchens was a man who at his core thirsted for truth and justice, and argued vociferously for them--wouldn't God have a use for him?

Isn't that the story of Paul? A man with great talent and potential, who was turned in a different direction?

Perhaps Hitches never had a visitation on the Road to Damascus, maybe the whisperings of the spiritual heart were never made to him, and based on what he had in his possession, there never was a good reason to be a believer.

A lot of maybes.

My old friend George, crusty old guy that lived in a boat basin, he would tell me that when he died, he hoped that he would be sitting at a table with Twain, Shakespeare, and the like. Wherever they are, that's where he wants to be. Presumably he is there or somewhere else now, he is long dead my friend George.

But he reminds me of this case of Hitchens. Sure would be nice to sit around the table with him at least once. And of course, it not be an irony unappreciated if the ghost of Hitchens were to stalk us once in a while
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote