View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You remind me of my brother who told me last week that the medical industry conspires to suppress cures for cancer, in order to maintain the business of treating people.

If you buy into that type of conspiracy theory then there is not much point in having a debate. You can pretty much write off all basic scientific research also, since scientists don't work for free.
I don't see the analogy working.

We have discussions regarding the various causes contributing to climactic change. I'm okay with that so far.

Next we have politicians, not necessarily known for honesty or lacking an agenda, backing certain plausible explanations for climactic changes. And with these theories come legislative changes which benefit some of these politicians financially.

And then we see groups of these scientists proclaiming "everybody agrees that this nascent science can determine with relative certitude that manmade greenhouses gases significantly contribute to climactic change."

So I reasonably assume that these hysterical voices sound like they have a biased agenda.

I don't believe the medical industry suppresses cures, and am much more familiar with how that industry operates.

I charge the hysterians with how their agenda has become politicized to benefit the hysterians financially. I don't believe it's really conspiracy, but more a tacit recognition how to get more money, it's a classic research technique, feed panic and politicians will throw money at you. A researcher lives off of public funding.