View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I agree with your interpretation. In my primary class of 9 year olds the method that seems to work best is decidely NOT standing on my soapbox and preaching the lesson. Rather, what they respond to best is everyone taking turns reading out of the scriptures that are what the lesson is about. I ask questions to get them thinking about what it says and interpret what the words not entirely familiar to them mean. But the main thing is just to let the Spirit come in and teach them while they find out what the scriptures say. It actually works. I wish someone had taught my mother in law that way. She is extremely well versed in the customs and traditions and marginal stuff that isn't actually doctrine, but would be very hard pressed to tell you what is in the scriptures. How did such a major part of her generation grow up that way?

The old, 1950s-1970s era styles of authoritarianistic top-down preaching just doesn't work with this generation. And that is not a bad thing. There is a reason these kids came to earth the way they are. Accept it. There are alternatives ways to that of teaching the Gospel that do work. God wants thinking disciples, not mindless robots.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-29-2016 at 07:38 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote