View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #45
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
A different aspect of this issue is what society wants and needs. Society definitely does not want or need medical school graduates who don't practice medicine. States, for example, subsidize medical education in hopes of boosting the supply of physicians within their boundaries. It's a wasted investment to spend $120,000 (let's assume that is the state's input) on someone's training only to have them decide never to put that training to use.

You became a marginally better parent (maybe), but you took a qualified person out of the supply where demand outpaces supply. Is that ethical? Good?
There was a couple in a former ward who were both doctors. She quit working after having kids. I thought it was a big waste. Fortunately, he was making bank so paying off two sets of medical school loans didn't seem to be an issue.

But, I also know of a dental practice in Memphis made of up moms. They divide up office hours and share expenses so that they can spend more time at home with their children. I thought this was a good idea. Moms with specialized training are better able to strike these kinds of balances than moms who forego schooling. Because of this, I would only encourage young women to get as much school and training as they can.

Also, I have been able to stay at home with my kids because of my education and training. I was able to work from home on a part-time basis and make enough money to keep us afloat through danimal's graduate program. I continue to work from home, mostly as a security blanket. Even though it's only part-time, it at least keeps my resume current which is more than most SAHMs can offer a prospective employer.