View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not the float test, but it involves three concepts, technique, time in water and water fitness. I sink and do not float. Most great swimmers can't float without lung inflation and arm movement. (Not saying I'm a great swimmer, but the body density of male swimmers tends to be such that they don't float).

First, swimming involves relaxed power, starting mostly from shoulders and lats. It's not weightlifter power, but small muscle power that you will not acquire unless you swim. So in effect, you borrow power from other muscle groups thereby exhausting energy supplies that should not be tapped.

Second, technique is key, as it's more akin to skiing well or sex, intent doesn't matter, but fine technique does. I've had thousands of hours to improve my technique and if I don't focus it still requires improvement.

Third, to develop the proper small and large muscle fitness, you need to devote time. Swimming requires time and nothing can give you results without time. Gifted athletes will progress faster but unless you devote time, you will not progress in swimming.

I would not bother with breaststroke or sidestroke and work on Australian crawl.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-29-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote