View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The difference is that everyone is a teenager at one point in their lives and you didn't single out teenagers of an immutable class. Your post proves my point. The very reason you said "teenagers" is that teenagers as a class are recognized as deficit relative to more mature people--they haven't lived as long, their hormones are screwed up, they are experiening separation urge, their brains may still be slightly smaller than full grown adults, etc.--and there is nothing wrong with implicitly suggesting that about teenagers. All of us were once teenagers, and they grow out of being teenagers.

But it is most emphaticallly wrong to say something that implies blacks or Hispanics or whatever race or ethnic group are by and large deficit relative to the rest of us. This has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives. Surely you are smart enough to see the distinction. Thanks for helping me to drive the point home.
"Surely you are smart enough to see the distinction." Are you saying if I don't I am dumb? Would that be because I didn't mature beyond my teenage years or because I am white or because I am old. I don't know why you are singling me out as not being smart enough if I don't agree with you.

Perhaps you are prejudice against non-liberals. I still like you despite the fact you are prejudice.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote