View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 AM   #24
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I agree that "Don't freak out" leads to exactly that. I think people are well-intentioned, but just aren't thinking about what they're saying.

My first experience was not a good one. I didn't really have a temple prep class and I'm not sure it would've helped, at least as the current prep classes are taught. The two things that would have really helped me in my first experience are:
1) Outlining the covenants we'll be making. I don't think we need to share sacred symbols or tokens, but what's the harm in discussing the covenants we make? I think it would really add to the experience if we've carefully considered and prayed about the ramifications of these beforehand.
2) Discussing the proper place and history of ritual and ordinance in worship. My first temple experience came at a time in my life when I was focused on the non-ritual aspects of our religion; the temple is a distinct departure from this.

Anyway, congrats BDB. I'm glad you've gained some strength and testimony from the experience.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote