View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I suspect part of the problem is just the nature of wards these days. I only have my own experience to go on, but it seems to me that my home ward growing up was more cohesive, more fun, more familial.

We did more stuff. Our ward activities were well attended and fun. And memorable. Like the annual ward canoe trip. Father and son campouts. 4th of July picnics in the afternoon, one year with a roasted pig.

As youth we did more fun stuff. Like annual trip to Schlitterbaun.

Ward members had us over for dinner and vice versa.

Now in my experience as an adult and parent, none of this is happening. A lot of this had to do with budget cuts and budget rules. It's not like I grew up in a wealthy ward. It was a college town ward. This stuff cost *some* money.

In my current ward, over 7 years in. Let me think how many ward members have invited us over for dinner. Two come to mind. Not like we've done very much hosting either, but we have done some.

Our ward is small. And shrinking. The number of kids and youth in the is small. It's not a bad ward or anything. But it's just not the same experience as my youth.

And yes, I have tried to change things, I could provide numerous examples.

Wards from the seventies were communities. Now they are places for business transactions, such went to sacrament meeting, check, PH, check and stayed in hall during SS, check. There is no fun going on any more.

No ward basketball.

The community is no longer tight nit or together.

BYU games were activities that often bound wards together. Not so much any more.

I don't know what the answer is either.