View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
When I was scoutmaster/deacon's quorum advisor we gathered fast offerings but only for those families that for some reason preferred to pay in that manner as opposed to donating at the same time they paid their tithing. This represented less than 10% of the ward so it only took a few minutes. I was toying with the idea of suggesting that we convince the this 10% to convert to the pay-with-tithing method. Then we got a directive from the stake presidency (about 3-4 years ago). They wanted each and every home in the ward to be visited by the deacons for an old-fashioned fast offering collection every month. It went from a ten minute exercise into a 1.5-2 hr exercise. And for the first few months, those poor deacons got yelled at by a lot of members ("Hey, I told you guys that we pay it with our tithing. Why do you keep coming?").
Wow, yelling at the deacons sure solves a lot. That reflects well on your ward.

I suppose if the stake presidency is going to insist, it would help to inform the members they are coming so they can keep their tempers in check.

Just for the record, I don't care one way or the other how fast offerings are collected. But I see why some priesthood leaders might find it a valuable exercise.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote