View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry in advance don't read if you dislike family discussions

but last night was a proud night for me.

My first son, about whom I post too much, decided now that soccer season has ended, he will continue fitness through running and lifting. So we went out and jogged two miles at night together.

The younger wants to join in, as he already jogs by himself.

As an aside, this son has a slight propensity toward pudginess. Yet he is doing some of what he can to overcome it.

In elementary school, he would cry when he had to run the mile, rarely finishing below 9 minute pace.

Now his goal is to be in the low seven minutes. Not earthshattering by any means and not enough to send him to the track team but a world of improvement.

This boy is proof that through work you can achieve.

When he was born and early in life, he had a jaw problem, a speech impediment, eyesight problems and a slight weight problem. They wanted him in special ed because the teachers were afraid he couldn't learn.

We believed in him, and placed him in speech classes, worked hard on math and then reading. At first, he was not even at grade level in reading. Yet just this past year, he has developed a high sense of awareness and ability such that he's now performing, while in middle school, at high school level in all subjects.

He wants to overcome his limitations, so it's exciting to see somebody overcome severe limitations he had at birth and in earlier childhood. At birth, he had the cord double wrapped around neck partially affecting him.

As an aside, for parents who have children that educators inform you can't learn or should be limited, fight for them, fight for them, as educators although well-meaning don't know everything, and love and hard work can produce amazing results.