View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
You have some points.

However, what I took away from that is not really "cheap tricks" ...but I believe the real point he was trying to make is that immigration is happening at unprecendented rates.
Not true, Mr. Borg-man.

One of the ways he exaggerates his claims is by using raw numbers (one million, etc.) instead of per capita numbers. Even per capita, we're at the highest point since the forties, but it's not unprecedented, and not near as dramatic as the raw numbers would have you believe.

Quote:
Back then, immigrants were 'absorbed' into our country and culture. Today, immigrants hold on to their culture, insisting ours changes to meet theirs. They don't want to learn English, wanting us to learn Spanish or some other language to meet their needs. It is very divisive and totally different from the times I think you are referring to.
I was at an immigrant family's birthday party Friday. Not a single one of the adults spoke English. At all. But all of the kids interacted in English, even though they're clearly from Spanish-speaking homes and could just as easily conduct their playtime in Spanish. I think the argument that there's no assimilation is exaggerated.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote